Tortoise SVN sometimes freezes when SolidWorks files get changed when the user tries to lock/add/commit files. This is caused by the sldShellExtServer.exe process conflicting with Tortoise. Disabling the shell extensions that SolidWorks installs on the computer removes the conflict so that SVN can work properly.
The fix involves disabling the shell extensions, so disabling them is not recommended if the user makes use of these features.
- Download ShellExView from http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html
- Disable the following items:
- SLDASMIcons Class
- SLDDEWIcons Class
- SLDPRTIcons Class
- SldShellExtension Class
- Solidworks Document Thumbnail Handler
- SolidWorks file Info Tips Class
- SolidWorks file Preview Class
Once these items are disabled, SVN should work properly.