Running LINE Messenger in Ubuntu 14.04

LINE is a messaging program kind of like WhatsApp, but it has a desktop client.  However, this desktop client only runs on Windows.  On Linux, it has to run under Wine, which allows running Windows programs (some) inside the Linux environment.  Caveat: sending stickers does not appear to work.

UPDATE 7. JULY 2015: Since this post, my version of LINE has been updated to 4.0.3.367, and it looks like stickers work now!

UPDATE 31. JULY 2016: Looks like in July 2015, LINE released a Chrome app.  Users of Chrome can just use that extension instead of using this method: Link

Running LINE in Ubuntu 14.04

1. Install Wine
sudo apt-get install wine
  1. Install VC++ 2008 Redistributable
winetricks vcrun2008
  1. Download and install LINE for Windows

Without installing the VC++ 2008 Redistributable, LINE would intermittently crash (even though it was able to start correctly).  This worked on my Ubuntu 14.04 x64 system.

LINE Version: 3.9.1.188
Wine Version: 1.6.2

23 Comments

1. Hey, this helped a lot. Thanks!

2. Hey dude, it’s work but not work stikers in Line version 4.1.2.525. how to fix??

3. Danger Radcliffe

December 2, 2015 at 09:20

So on my last Ubuntu machine, LINE was able to run very well through Wine as though it were completely independent of Wine, but on my newer machine, LINE only seems to run, and run very poorly, in the Wine virtual desktop, which is something I’d never encountered until recently. Any idea how to rig it so LINE no longer uses the virtual desktop and instead runs like a standalone program?

• Danger Radcliffe

December 2, 2015 at 09:24

So, I am an idiot. And for all other idiots out there, who struggle with the pain of VD, just go into Wine config and uncheck the box that emulates a virtual desktop.

• henrypoon

December 4, 2015 at 18:56

Interesting, you didn’t go through PlayOnLinux. I like using PoL because it’s able to keep each program instance separate their own virtual drives.

4. HELP!

it cant complete my installation. stack at Execute: “C\Program Files\LINE\LineAppMgr.exe” -regfw.

I use ubuntu 14.04 x86

• henrypoon

January 18, 2016 at 08:37

Hmm.. Not sure how I can help since I haven’t encountered anything like that. Maybe try to wait it out?

5. What about the Line in Chromium Apps? It’s easy to install and it doesn’t require Wine or Windows stuff.
    Just open your Chromium, go to Settings, get more Extensions, find Line messenger, and install it!

I just try it on my Lubuntu 16.04 and it works 🙂

• henrypoon

July 31, 2016 at 22:50

Ah looks like this method is obsoleted now. Looks like the Chrome extension got released a few months after I wrote this post! Thanks for the tip!

• I did as you said and I installed the Line extension for chromium but it just shows me a blank page

• henrypoon

March 24, 2017 at 14:27

The LINE extension works fine for me. Perhaps it’s because you’re using Chromium and not Chrome (they’re different).

6. thank you very much! this is so useful for my lubuntu running on hp mini 210!

7. Chrome app just crashes on Debian.
    Winetricks is a separate package on debian and must be installed.
    Winetricks just loops.

8. after VC ++ 2008 Redistributable installed what should be done? I do not see the app line in it

9. I followed the above steps and everything was fine but when I try to install Line , I get an error message message saying Unable to install this version of Line because a previous one is already running ” .. but in fact there is no other version of Line running !! what shall I do ?