This guide describes how to run TurboTax 2014 in PlayOnLinux. The PlayOnLinux (in combination with WINE) software allows users to install Windows-based software.
CAVEAT: NETFILE did not work for me. I had to submit my taxes through an installation done on Windows
- Install PlayOnLinux and then run it (e.g. starting it through the Terminal)
sudo apt-get install playonlinux
- Click “Tools” > “Manage wine versions”
- Choose 1.7.27 under “Available Wine versions” and then click the right arrow “>”
- Go through the steps in the installer and let it finish
- Back in the PlayOnLinux main screen, click “Install” in the menu, and then click “Install a non-listed program” on the bottom left
- Choose “Use another version of Wine”, when asked, and then choose 1.7.27
- Choose “Install a program in a new virtual drive”, when asked
- Choose “32 bits windows installation”, when asked
- Find the location of setup.exe for the TurboTax installer (I copied the files off of the disc to a place on my hard drive)
- Ignore the message “Error in FS_Check” if it appears
- Let the install complete, but do not launch TurboTax right away
- Choose “tt2014.exe”, if asked to create a shortcut
- Back in the PlayOnLinux main screen, select entry for TurboTax and click “Configure” in the menu
- Make sure the “Wine version” is set to 1.7.27
- Under “Install components”, install the following in this order (some of these may not be required, but I don’t know which since this is the configuration that worked for me):
- Microsoft Core Fonts
- Internet Explorer 8 (click “Restart” in the installer)
- Back in the PlayOnLinux main screen, clicking “Run” for TurboTax 2014 should now work!
This is what worked for me, so hopefully this will work for others.